Love Across Borders

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Why is diversity good and what does God have to do with it?

Everytime I take a walk in the forest and give myself a moment of reflection I get stunned by the enormous variation of life forms nature is offering. When I look around, on the ground or up the crown of the trees, there are so many plants, insects, birds, reptiles and mammals (including me) . And they (we) are all acting together in a complex ecological system.
It's difficult to not be impressed.

Back in the forest I feel God's presence very strongly. I cannot believe that what I see is just coming together by a long chain of millions of coincidences. It must have been engineered by someone.
Why do so many people have a problem imagining that there is a intelligence more powerful than man?

In the forest I ask myself questions like: Why did God create thousands of different species of insects? Why did God create thousands of different species of micro-organisms? Hadn't it been enough with 5 species of insects and 5 species of micro-organisms? Why do all those different species have to compete all their lives with other species about who's going to survive?

Maybe God's plan was that the more variations of species he made, the stronger would life itself withstand any kinds of threat. By letting the species always compete they would always be fit to handle challenges or changes in their surrounding environment. And those who didn't......

Maybe God's simple tactics is diversity and competition to make sure the strategy for his creation would be fullfiledl. The creation is life and the strategy is let life survive.

I don't know, but Darwin came to a similar conclusion, didn't he?

In nature diversity is a guarantee for life survival.
Diversity can never be wrong. The more variations of thinking there are, the more solutions to a problem will be created. The more insights a man has, the faster he will analyze a situation. The best analyzing and problemsolving will make a winner in a competitive situation. Only the best wins! The fittest survive!

Being raised in a multiethnic family, my children get a lot more input than I did, growing up in a monoethnic family. My children get a mix of Chinese and Swedish upbringing, they get insights into both ways of upbringing. They get two languages. They have roots in two different countries, cultures, religions and histories. They have families in two different parts of the world.
Will they get a wider perspective ? Will they be more creative ? I don't know but I hope they will and I believe there is a great chance that they will.

I'm aware there is a lot more needed to make children happy, independant and creative. But in this log I focus on diversity.

That's all for today.

1 Comments:

  • hi, just this came across my mind abt diversity:
    diversity is good by forming stronger resistance to disease. However, diversity also give us a tough lesson on accepting what is different from us. History has shown us so many lessons of this.

    By Blogger michelle wong, at 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home